New categories

Feedback, questions and concerns about the Wiki

New categories

Postby libraryjuice » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:32 pm

Glad to see the categories feature is being used. I suspect we have some mediawiki veterans ;)

I noticed a new page for The Root of All Evil BBC TV series. I thought maybe we could change the categories to have a hierarchy something like this:

• media
    • tv
    • radio
    • book
    • essay
    • podcast

What do you think?
libraryjuice

Re: New categories

Postby Kazim » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:35 pm

libraryjuice wrote:Glad to see the categories feature is being used. I suspect we have some mediawiki veterans ;)

I noticed a new page for The Root of All Evil BBC TV series. I thought maybe we could change the categories to have a hierarchy something like this:

• media
    • tv
    • radio
    • book
    • essay
    • podcast

What do you think?

I'd say it's something to consider. One of the things we decided regarding various categories of argument is that if there is a hierarchy of argument types, then an article deep within the subcategories should list all categories that include it.

For example, look at the banana argument. It is in these categories: Arguments | Arguments for the existence of God | Teleological arguments | Arguments from design

Note that "Arguments from design" is a subcategory of "teleological arguments", and so on.

At minimum, I would suggest that "media" be subdivided into "religious media" and "atheist media". Then within "atheist media", you would have "atheist TV shows" and so forth.

For example, Root of All Evil would include the following tags:
[[Category: Media]]
[[Category: Atheist media]]
[[Category: Atheist TV shows]]

Maybe we could skip the top category, as just having an umbrella "Media" page might not be that useful to readers.

I'd also like Matt's feedback on this, since he mostly came up with the current arrangement for arguments.
If you did not like the writing style in this message, then you will certainly not enjoy my blog, which is at:
http://kazimskorner.blogspot.com/
Kazim
Iron Chariots Admin

Return to Wiki Feedback