The Bible: NOT an antidote to superstition!

Open discussion for all registered members.

The Bible: NOT an antidote to superstition!

Postby the_ignored » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:54 pm

Answers in Genesis has an article claiming that it is...to help refute that, I just point out stuff like this.

I particularly like the irony in AIG's sub-title for that article!

All the bible says about contacting spririts and all that type of junk, is that they are demons, not the gods/spirits that the "superstitious" people think they are.

Long argument short: It's like taking your kid off herioin, putting them on crack, then claiming that they're drug-free.
the_ignored

Postby ZenMondo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:38 am

Actually if we take the bible literally, one does contact spirits directly and it is not a demon masquerading as a departed soul.

I refer to of course King Saul visiting the Witch of Endor and calling up the spirit of Samuel (I Samuel 28), reading the text literally, it is the spirit of Samuel, never is there any hint that it is a Demon masquerading as Samuel but refers to the spirit as Samuel himself.

Demons masquerading is a Christian invention to state that their superstitions are true, and other are false, trading the heroin for crack as you say. But if you want to take the bible literally than you have to accept that some of these other practices are real practices as valid as your own.

Annoyingly the most vocal proponent of the "its all demons" argument seems to me to be Jack Chick.

In a side note I haven't looked at it in depth, but perhaps the literal reading of the bible can argue for the actual existence of other "gods" instead of them being mere fictions.
ZenMondo

Postby the_ignored » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:32 pm

Even so, it doesn't help their case much...even if that was Samuel's own spirit, then the bible is just giving an example of the same kind of superstition that whatever pagans who also call up their dead have...in that case, it'd be like trading heroin for heroin, and not heroin for crack.
the_ignored

Postby Diagoras » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:31 am

I'm always amazed, though I guess I shouldn't be, how often Christians take non-Christian superstitious ideas seriously. It would be easy for them to just say tarot cards and Ouija boards don't work, and that John Edward and James Van Praagh are frauds, like we do. But a lot of Christians think these things are real, and they call it witchcraft directed by Satan's loyal minions. What's next? Is Satan making crop circles too? Is Uri Geller using Satan to bend spoons? Did Satan fake the moon landing?
“Oh Neddy, it was terrifying. I thought I was headed for the eternal bliss of paradise!â€
Diagoras

Return to General Discussion